Advice for Retailers and Consumers
1. Read the literature candle manufacturers put out about their
products. Candlemakers are not required to list ingredients, but
if you ask them, they should provide you with the information you
2. Aromatherapy sales of all types have boomed in recent years,
but much of what is being sold as aromatherapy doesn't contain 100%
pure essential oils, is adulterated or diluted, or isn't natural.
If you want pure essential oils, have the candlemaker put it in
writing. If someone is advertising non-citrus fruit fragrances (like
plum, berries, melon, mango) or claim to be using rose, jasmine,
or lilac, they probably are not using only pure essential oils.
3. Test all candles for soot.
If there are black stains on the jar lip or you have a yellow flame
and see smoke coming off the wick, you're also getting soot into
the room. A simple test is to put a white plate behind the candle
and see if you get the ghosting stains that signify soot.
4. Display candles in a high-traffic area and not just near essential
oils or in the personal care section. Candles are an impulse buy.
5. Candles are a good alternative for an inexpensive gift and go
well with gift cards.
6. Another issue surrounding aromatherapy is labeling. Not all
claims, such as products that claim to be relaxing, are backed by
science. We don't represent our pure essential oil candles as promoting
health. To get the full benefits of pure essential oils we recommend
you use them in baths, massages, or diffusers that don't use heat.
We believe pure essential oil candles are a better alternative to
synthetic scents and soot producing candles.
7. When burning, follow the instructions on the burn label on the
bottom of a candle.
8. Burn all tapers or pillars on a fireproof surface even if they
are "dripless". A strong enough draft on any candle can
cause them to drip.
9. A container candle should burn up all the wax so there is nothing
left in the jar. The glass does get hot, so it is best to not put
it directly on a finished wood surface.
10. Compare burn times.